4/16/05 – Drub Invited Artist To SEAF ’05
The Seattle Erotic Arts Festival extends their hand and dubs Drub an “invited artist”.
Instead of submitting work this year for placement, Drub was honored with automatic, secured, and requested placement in this year’s festival. He had on display 3 works: J.P., Treefort, and One Lump Or Two? at the festival.
“Ironically, I missed the deadline by one day and kicked myself for over a month about it. Then I received an note via e-mail asking if I’d be one of several ‘invited artists’ this year and I jumped at the chance,” said Drub. Drub sold one piece of work and attended to greet fans, friends, and fellow artists.
The Seattle Erotic Arts Festival was a whirlwind of excitement, performance art, artists, patrons, organizers, volunteers, and erotic art appreciators – all over the age of 18, that is.
The Seattle Erotic Art Festival was founded in 2002 by Seattle’s Sex Positive Community Center to promote freedom of sexuality, speech and creativity through the erotic expression of fine art.
Our original vision included growing the Festival into a destination event that would draw people from all parts of the world. By our second event in 2004 we had achieved this goal, drawing artists, patrons, and visitors from around the world and exposing them to art that might otherwise be hidden.
Our inaugural Festival had over 1,000 visitors the first night, with a weekend total of over 2,000. Our 2004 event drew over 4,000 visitors, showed the work of 187 artists, and sold more than $27,000 worth of art.
The third annual Seattle Erotic Art Festival, was held at Consolidated Works in Seattle, April 15-17 includes: an expansive exhibition of contemporary erotic art, installations, a gallery store for small works and prints, opportunities to meet the artists, and these special programs:
- The provocative film series, Sex on Screen, produced by Viva Wylde Productions. www.sosfest.com
- A passionate fine art auction led by the Seattle Modern Auction Company’s Laura Michalek. www.seattleauctioneer.com
- Evocative interactive theater produced by Little Red Studio.www.littleredstudioseattle.com
- Revealing art exhibition tours featuring curators from Art @ Large, and Atlas Fine Art Consulting. www.atlasfineart.com
- Stimulating guest appearance by renowned author/sex educator Fetish Diva Midori. www.fetishdiva.com
- Performances that include empty bodies, intimate balloons, The Thigh Master and a bit of bread.
2004 Festival attracted over 4,000 attendees and featured more than 180 artists from around the world. SEAF2005 received almost 900 submissions from 375 artists in 30 states and 13 countries, and is proud to showcase the tantalizing talents of local artists: Jessica Dougherty, Jim Duvall, Ellen Forney, Jeff Hengst, Laurie Hemingway, Krysztof Nemeth, Derek Nobbs, Demi Raven, De Kwok, Jodi Rockwell, Toi Sennhauser and Hypnox (SEAF2003 Viewer’s Choice Winner), among many others.
Pet Silvia, proprietor of Art @ Large (New York), will bring to SEAF2005 the ground-breaking works of John John Jesse, Annie Sprinkle, Charles Gatewood, Barbara Nitke, Carolyn Weltman, Steven Johnson Leyba, Spider Webb, Michael Kirwan, and Seattle’s own Rik Garrett.
The SEAF 2005 jury chose work, in part, based on quality of execution, originality of subject and depth of emotion. The Jury Awards:
- 1st Place Auction: Exposed by Arice of Vallegjo, CA
- 2nd Place Auction (Tie): Rubber Slave by BULLmanX of Dearborn Heights, MI
- 2nd Place Auction (Tie): Harp by Jim Duvall of Bellingham, WA
- 1st Place Exhibition: Sweet Nectar by Kenji Signani of Maple Valley, WA
- 2nd Place Exhibition: Saddlebags by Rooster of Hamilton, MT
- 3rd Place Exhibition: Fresh Meat by A.V. Phibes of Brooklyn, NY
This year’s jury consisted of Robin Atlas-fine art consultant; Eugene Burt-art historian; Patrick Girgen- photographer/industrial designer; Midori-author/sex educator; and Jeffery Hedgepeth-botanical artist/art collector.